Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Why we need to manage our IT infrastructure

I have started this blog keeping in mind that it may help people to manage their IT infrastructure using open source. I wont be long and would be covering more details in my coming writeup.

To start with... Why we need to manage our IT infrastructure -
  1. We have spent millions of dollars in setting up them.
  2. Our business relay on them.
  3. To make our business process more secure.
  4. Avoid list possible downtime, for smooth business running.
What steps we need to achieve them-
  1. Understand your business requirements, and how IT is involve on that.
  2. Monitor your infrastructure so that it remains up 24x7
    • List down what you want to monitor.
    • Choose right tools to support you.
  3. Choose appropriate security devices to secure your environment.
  4. Follow best practices to manage your infrastructure - for instance ITIL v3.
Things to avoid -
  1. Too much of monitoring will kill your environment, so prepare your self with the list you want to monitor.
  2. Wrong tool may land you  in trouble, so choose tool wisely.
  3. Same thing applies on how much security you want and choose the devices accordingly. Involve your security team while you are making any decisions.
  4. Any decision you take should not disrupt your business process.
I am stopping now, but stay tuned while I come up with new writings to share with .... 

No comments:

Post a Comment